Corning Glass Works is the first maker of ribbon blown or machine blown glass ornaments. In a factory based in Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, production began in 1939. With the beginning of World War II, the flow of glass ornaments from Germany stopped, leaving a void in the market. Corning adapted their ribbon blowing machines to make glass ornaments. The machines were originally designed to make light bulbs.
Corning produced 300,000 ornaments per day. Most were sold to Shiny Brite, but Corning produced and sold some under their own brand name as well. Corning ceased production of christmas ornaments in 1981.